B-B-Butt Patrol


The idea of a "suit" is that you develop the slight tensile connection all over the body and gradually learn to move the whole body (with dantian as main control) with the so-called "suit". At first, the sheet-like connections are hard to feel, but once some of the simpler ones are developed, it's sort of a game to find and develop the areas of "suit" all over the body and to learn to manipulate the body by means of the "suit", rather than just using muscle like we normally do.

Just to give an example of how the suit works, let's suppose that I want to move the curtains in front of me to the side, so let's imaging moving my right arm from left to right, in front of me.

Generally speaking, the whole "suit" should be very slightly stretched or else there will not be a continuous connection to work with. So, there should be a slight connection from the fingers of my right hand, down the outside of the right arm, across and down the back to the butt, and then down the legs to the feet.

If the connection is complete lengthwise from feet to the right hand, I can start the pull at the area of my legs, butt, and back/dantian, not using much, if any, strength in my arm at all. That's the general rule: make sure the full length of your body is well connected and *start* the turning/twisting of the pull from the lower body. That's why I've said a few times in the past that when I do the Cando Bar exercises, my mind is often on the legs, butt, and dantian.

It's sort of amusing how many of the twisting and turning motions to the arm actually use a lot of manipulation of the "suit" by the butt. I put a picture below of a net swing: imagine someone is sitting in the swing so that their butt is weighting and resting in the bottom and the pull stretches up those two side pieces of netting (to represent the pull to the arms). You can see how by moving and twisting the butt, the pull up the back and out to the arms could control the arm motions.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silly Magic of Asian Martial Arts versus Reality